Studying in times of Corona
On these pages we give you important information about digital learning, especially in Corona times.
In the context of digital teaching, some of the university's systems get into their Capacity limits. Our experience has shown that there are currently capacity limits at peak times (Di, Wed, Thu, between 9 and 14 o'clock) there are a lot of accesses (especially to PANDA and videos integrated there) . In order to permanently maintain the stability of the systems we currently recommend, as far as this is possible, to use large asynchronous teaching contents (e.g. videos, extensive downloads) outside core hours.
Use of digital materials / copyright
Even in times of Corona, copyright law is still valid and must be observed when using all digital materials. There are publishers and manufacturers who grant special rights of use for their products in the current situation. However, there is no right to such an extended possibility of use.
- Materials provided by the lecturers may only be used for study purposes. They may not be passed on to third parties. If you use these materials yourself, they must be cited properly. Everything else is considered plagiarism.
- In video conferences recordings may only be made with the consent of all participants. This also applies to recordings by the participants*. Therefore, please refrain from personal recordings.
- The textual communication that is now increasingly taking place is also subject to copyright, i.e. e-mails, chat and forum contents may not simply be passed on.
- For further general information on legal issues concerning the provision of your own and third-party materials, please refer to
Oral exam as online video exam
Video conferencing systems approved by the Presidium for an oral examination as an online video examination are up to date (status 06.05.2020):
Please read the notes for the corresponding videoconferencing system and follow the notes and tips for audio and video conferences / Netiquette.
Before the actual test, be sure to do a technical test run.
Access to resources at the university
In general, all university services (PANDA, e-mail, PAUL, ...) can be used from home via the Internet, safely and without any further effort. Exceptions are certain licensed services of the University Library, certain software licenses and the University's network storage (IsilonDas IMT betreibt einen Netzwerkspeicher (Isilon) am Standort Paderborn, auf dem zentral Dateien abgelegt und verwaltet werden können. Jeder Uni-Account kann ein Homeverzeichnis erstellen und im Bedarfsfall Zugriff auf Gruppenspeicher (zB AGs) erhalten.). For use outside of the university, you must first set up a VPNVirtuelle privates Netzwerk; über eine bestehende Internetverbindung wird der Rechner virtuell an einen anderen Ort gesetzt und bekommt alle Zugriffsmöglichkeiten, als ob er vor Ort wäre. Nifty! access (Set up VPN).
Audio and video conferencing
Even though the university recommends the asynchronous exchange of learning materials, there will be teaching and learning scenarios that require the use of audio and video conferences. For example, a lecture can be held synchronously and during this time questions can be asked via a chat and voting (PINGO) can take place. The university offers several technical solutions. Lecturers are encouraged to choose appropriate solutions and to communicate these to their students. The following should be noted:
- Inform your lecturer if you do not have technical equipment available for the planned conferences and discuss alternatives.
- Please take part in offered trial sessions. Usually the scenario is explained there and you can try out the participation with your equipment (PC, tablet, smartphone).
- Video transmission requires computing power and bandwidth. Therefore, always switch off your video if this is not necessary.
- If you participate in video conferences, please switch off the VPNVirtuelle privates Netzwerk; über eine bestehende Internetverbindung wird der Rechner virtuell an einen anderen Ort gesetzt und bekommt alle Zugriffsmöglichkeiten, als ob er vor Ort wäre. Nifty! (see above).
- If you "enter" a conference, please switch off your microphone. Only switch it on when you want/should speak. Pay attention to the announcements and instructions of the lecturer.
- If recordings are made of a conference, all recorded participants must agree to this recording. Only the lecturer should be recorded during lectures, participants should deactivate video and microphone. Please follow the instructions of your lecturer. A running recording is signalled in the systems with a red button.
- Observe the notes and tips for audio and video conferences / Netiquette.
Temporary software offers for the study
Some software providers make their programs available for free use in the context of studies and teaching for a limited period of time. This means that software that is available, for example, on the currently inaccessible pool room computers, can now be installed at home. Current offers are available for
- Adobe Creative Cloud
In addition, it is possible to use the pool room from home (VDI@home, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering only). Further information: Temporary software offers for teaching
Accessibility of the IMT
Please note the limited services within the university. If you have technical questions or problems, the easiest way to contact the IMT is to send an e-mail to imt(at)uni-paderborn(dot)de. The IMT hotline is available by phone at 05251/60-5544 during office hours.