With videos of lectures or screen recordings of presentations with sound, you can present teaching content to students asynchronously.
Create audio/video recordings[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Studio and recording possibilities in IMT[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Lecture Recording (eLectures)
- The IMT has extensive recording facilities. You can pre-produce short video modules of lectures in the lecture hall on site. These videos can be integrated into courses via PANDA. Due to limited production capacities, prioritization is necessary. Lecturers can register their needs via the ticket system of the IMT firstname.lastname@example.org.
PowerPoint presentations with sound[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- PowerPoint - presentations with sound
- With Microsoft PowerPoint you can create a video recording or podcast based on your lecture slides. This option is very easy, you can use existing PowerPoint files for dubbing. The end device used to edit the PowerPoint presentation must be equipped with a sound card, a microphone and speakers so that you can record and play back audio.
OBS-Studio[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- OBS-Studio - Introduction
- With OBS-Studio you can create video recordings and live streaming of your lectures. See Streaming from home.
PANDA[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Recording videos with PANDA
- Two-minute videos and audio recordings can be recorded in the editor in PANDA and integrated at the respective point in the course. Please note that you will not use the standard editor but the atto editor. See: Text formatting and editor settings. For instructions on how to create videos and audio recordings in Panda, see Videos and Audio Recordings in Panda.
More tools for video recording and editing[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
In addition to the options listed here, you can also use the tools Camtasia, SNAGIT or "DaVinci Resolve" for video creation and editing.
Further information on the tools Camtasia and SNAGIT can be found on the pages of the Department of Educational Innovation and University Didactics:
- Video production as home production
- Convert courses from pure classroom teaching to self-study with feedback
Provide audio/video recordings[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Include videos in Panda[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- With this service videos can be made available publicly and password protected via the IMT.
Further possibilities of provision[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Using file exchange for digital teaching
- For teaching, you can provide your teaching materials digitally using various tools. The prerequisites for the use and advantages of the individual tools can be found under Exchange of large files.
- Videos can also be shared via sciebo and can be played there directly with the media player without prior downloading.
For this purpose
- the video can be copied to a sciebo folder,
- the video can be shared / be provided with a public link
- optionally the video can be protected with a password and
- Link and if necessary password will be given to the course participants e.g. in Panda.
Notes: The videos are not protected by authentication. The link and, if necessary, the password can be passed on. Videos can easily be downloaded and saved on your own media (no protection against download). The media player does not play all formats. Test your videos before distributing them.
Live streaming[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Live streaming with Uni streaming server[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
The IMT provides a streaming server (Wowza Media Server) to retrieve live videos. The use of the streaming server is recommended for courses with 80 - 800 students.
The video stream is broadcast live from a lecture hall (AM, L, O, G, C) of the University of Paderborn and is delivered by the audience via the streaming server of the University of Paderborn. This service does not offer a return channel. Alternative chat tools can be used in parallel, but are not provided by the IMT.
- For one-time events, the stream is streamed into a previously created web page (subpage University of Paderborn). Every participant* with a link can call up the stream in his/her browser.
- For a series of live lectures the stream is streamed into a live channel of the video portal of the University of Paderborn. For this purpose, the video portal service must be applied for and activated in advance. See: Videoportal.
Advantage here: The livestream is only accessible to a certain group of people; prior subscription and activation of the users by teachers is required.
Prerequisite for using the service:
- Contact the IMT by ticket email@example.com
- Scheduling is essential because of the coordination of the server load balancing
- The possibility to use the lecture date of the presence teaching should be checked
- The possibility of using asynchronous teaching methods as an alternative to streaming should be examined
Streaming from home[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
As an alternative to auditorium streaming, an exception for streaming from home (using the freeware Open Broadcaster Software - OBS Studio) may be granted after a thorough review of the circumstances.
The maximum data rate of the streaming service is set by the IMT in order to reach students in areas with weaker network coverage. However, this cannot be guaranteed.
Note: Live streaming is not recommended for courses in the summer semester 2020, only exceptional cases can be considered. Basically, asynchronous communication possibilities (e-mail, chat, quizzes, submission of exercises, feedback systems) should be used. These offer greater time flexibility and can also be used sensibly with limited bandwidths. When streaming, quality limitations and disturbances must be expected in case of overload.