BigBlueButton is a teaching conference system which can be used in a web browser. The system enables video and audio conferences for medium sized groups up to 20 people (with video), 60 people only (audio), virtual classrooms and webinars. For courses in which the video / presentation comes from one person and the students only use the chat / microphone, BigBlueButton can probably be used with up to 60 people.
The BigBlueButton instances are operated by the IMT on servers within the University of Paderborn.
BigBlueButton supports the synchronous provision of
- slides as PowerPoint or PDF (with whiteboard control)
- and chat.
The in principle possible screen splitting / screen sharing is not stable for medium and larger groups and should be avoided. Use materials created in advance (PDF or PowerPoint), upload them as a presentation in the conference and then show them to the participants.
Teachers can also provide students with the following activities:
- collaborative whiteboards and
- breakout rooms (for partners and small group work).
BigBlueButton is suitable for:
- Language courses (in which all participants actively contribute ( or speak ))
- Online tutoring (private lessons)
- Flipped classrooms (recording of content before your session)
- Group collaboration and seminar design
- Online lectures (one to many)
- Internet access
- Web browser: Chrome or Firefox should ideally be used as browser. Safari cannot be recommended without restrictions from the current pilot test.
- All participants should use a headset if possible, but at least a headphone to avoid feedback.
- In the pilot test, events were carried out with up to 60 participants. Currently we expect a stable connection with about 25 participants, which is suitable for many seminar arrangements. For courses where the video / presentation comes from one person and the students only use the chat / microphone, BigBlueButton can probably be used with up to 60 people.
- It is not guaranteed that all students have a good data connection to be able to participate in synchronous courses, therefore synchronous teaching should generally only be an additional offer. Videos and recordings have the advantage that they can be watched at lower network load times.
Notes on use
- To present content, only use PowerPoint slides and PDF documents that are made available at the beginning of the session using the "Upload a presentation" function.
You can find detailed click instructions in the instruction video "Show slides/documents (pdf)" (Instruction videos).
- For the time being, "screen splitting / screen sharing" should be avoided in larger groups for performance reasons.
- Webcams require a lot of data, so they should only be used when needed, e.g. by the lecturer or the presenting students, but not by the whole course.
- You can use breakout rooms for partner work or group work. Switching to a breakout room can take about 30 seconds. Students must confirm entering the room and then re-enter the main room, repeating the echo check.
- You can use the "Shared Notes" function very well as a blackboard.
- Use the function for recording (start recording) as not as much as possible, because it is resource-hungry and can affect stability. In addition, the rights of all participants to their picture & sound must be respected. See Legal issues - recording of video conferences. Recordings are deactivated in the Big Blue Button instance for students and guests.
- Recordings are provided in Big Blue Button with a slight delay after an encoding time after the recording is finished.
- Switch off your VPNVirtuelle privates Netzwerk; über eine bestehende Internetverbindung wird der Rechner virtuell an einen anderen Ort gesetzt und bekommt alle Zugriffsmöglichkeiten, als ob er vor Ort wäre. Nifty! connection when using BigBlueButton
- Please read and observe the general Notes and tips for and video conferences / Netiquette.
BigBlueButton for lecturers
- Access as a host to Big Blue Button is managed via the service Host in the LKS (teaching conference system BigBlueButton), which can be activated in the service portal. This service is automatically activated for employees and lecturers. Guests and students can find the service in the service portal under Teaching and Studies. The extended service view must be activated for this. Guests and students can send an activation request for the service if they need the service, for example in the context of a course or tutoring.
- Big Blue Button hosts can log in to the BigBlueButton instance with their IMT account and password via https://bbb1.uni-paderborn.de and create several learning rooms/courses and links to them (see Instruction videos).
- The link to the study room remains the same throughout the semester and must be communicated to the participating students in PANDA or by e-mail.
- The students log in using this link - no registration is required.
BigBlueButton for students and guests
- Students and guests can be BigBlueButton hosts themselves and use BigBlueButton for exercise groups, counseling situations and team meetings.
- For this purpose, students and guests can log in with their IMT account and password via https://studi-bbb.uni-paderborn.de on the BigBlueButton instance for students and set up several learning rooms / courses there and create links to them (see Instruction videos).
- Studi-bbb.uni-paderborn.de is a BigBlueButton instance especially for students and guests. Please note that availability may be limited, as BigBlueButton will be in the introductory mode in the summer semester 2020. Support by the IMT can only be provided to persons who belong to the named test users in the test phase until May 2nd, 2020.
These instructional videos were created by the pilot testers of the Centre for Language Teaching and may be linked here. Please note: The videos refer to the Big Blue button instance bbb.uni-paderborn.de, which is reserved for the Centre for Language Teaching. However, their content is transferable to the instance bbb1.uni-paderborn.de, which is to be used by all other test users during the test phase as well as studi-bbb.uni-paderborn.de for students an guests.
- BigBlueButton can be used by all teachers at the university to support their teaching as well as by students and guests for medium sized groups (seminars, language courses, practice groups, ...).
- The IMT cannot guarantee stable operation at all times during busy periods, so teachers should have a plan B for all synchronous online scenarios.
- Lecturers, students & guestsmust ensure that BigBlueButten are used in accordance with the law. For the processing of personal data, the applicable data protection regulations must be observed. Under copyright law, recordings (recordings) of persons may only be made with their express consent.
- BigBlueButton is operated by the IMT on servers within the University of Paderborn in accordance with data protection regulations.
- Avoid - even if it is technically possible - recording video conferences. All participants* have a "right to their own image" as well as to their own linguistic expressions. Recordings may only be made if you as a lecturer only record yourself, i.e. all cameras and microphones of the participants are switched off, or if all participants have explicitly agreed to the recording and the purpose of the recording. Recordings are deactivated in the Big Blue Button instance for students and guests.