Some services are only available through the university network. These include, for example, access to network drives and the download of online resources from the homepage of the University Library. If you want to access these services when you are not at the university, you need a VPN connection. A Virtual Private Network guarantees secure access to the university network through other networks.
What needs to be done?[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Install OpenVPN Connect from the PlayStore.
- Install a personal network certificate
- Download the configuration file:
- Use the .ovpn configuration file and your personal network certificate to configure OpenVPN Connect.
- Start a VPN connection.
Step-by-step instructions[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Install OpenVPN Connect[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Install the app OpenVPN Connect. Like other apps you can find it in the Google PlayStore
Install certificates[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
For the VPN connection you need a network certificate. You cannot use the already installed certificate for Eduroam. Open the ServicePortal and log in with your university account.
- Click on the 3 vertical bars on the upper right corner
- Click on User Management and then on Network Settings
- Click on Create new certificate.
- You should create a separate certificate for each device you use. Assign a unique identifier so that you know which certificate belongs to which device later on.
- Then click on "Send new certificate".
- A new network certificate has been created for you
- First copy the Import password to the clipboard
- Now click on Download network certificate.
- To open the certificate, you need your Import Password. You just copied it to the clipboard and can now paste it here.
- Confirm with "OK"
- In order to be able to recognize the certificate afterwards, you are requested to rename the certificate
- Name it UPB
- To use the login data, select "VPN and Apps"
- Confirm with "OK"
Download configuration file[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Download the configuration file, select the VPN you want to connect to and click on Download. Usually "Uni-VPN (Standard)" should work, but if you have problems with the connection, try "Uni-VPN-TCP".
OpenVPN Connect setup[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Open the app OpenVPN Connect
- You downloaded it in the first step
- OpenVPN Connect must be able to access your device
- Click on "Allow".
- Switch to the page "File"
- Switch to the folder "Downloads"
- Select the configuration file you just downloaded
- Click on "Import" at the bottom margin
- Confirm the question with "OK"
- Click on "ADD" at the top right corner
- Click on the "button icon" to activate the VPN connection
- Allow the connection with "OK"
- Click on "Select Certificate"
- Select the certificate you have just installed
- Then click on "Select"
- OpenVPN Connect was set up successfully
- The green "Connected" symbol indicates that the VPN connection is active
Note: With an active VPN connection all your activities on the internet are redirected via the servers of the University of Paderborn. Please deactivate the VPN connection if you don't need it.
Deactivate VPN connection[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Click on the "button icon"
- Put a tick in the box next to "Don't show again"
- Click on "OK"
- The VPN connection is now deactivated
- With a click on the grey button icon, you can activate it again