If possible, audio and video conferences should not be used, or only in justified cases, in the context of basic teaching. It cannot be guaranteed that all students have a sufficiently good data connection to be able to participate in such formats without interference.
For video conferences all active participants* need a computer with camera, microphone and loudspeaker, for audio conferences the last two. For larger conferences headsets should be used urgently, but at least headphones. It is also necessary to have a stable internet connection otherwise the conference will be disturbed for most participants. (see Notes and tips for audio and videoconferences/ Netiquette).
In addition, the VPN to the University of Paderborn should definitely be switched off.
The following possibilities exist[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Details and instructions for access can be found on the respective linked pages. See also Tool comparison at a glance. You will also find here an e-teaching exchange chat for teachers. In addition, the Paderborn Office of Educational Innovations and University Didactics has set up a PANDA course with question forum.
Please note that a test phase regarding the use of online conferences in teaching will be carried out by the end of April.
Videoconferences and webseminars with small groups[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- BigBlueButton is suitable for virtual classrooms and webseminars (with video up to 30 persons, otherwise up to about 60 persons). Presentations can be played back in the rooms (PowerPoint, PDF), feedback is possible via chat, among other things. BigBlueButton is operated at the University of Paderborn and is suitable for confidential content.
Larger videoconferences (over 60 TN) are only possible with external videoconferencing systems.[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Zoom - General information is a commercial videoconferencing system of a US supplier. The IMT has procured licenses for conferences hosted in Europe through a German provider.
- WebEx] is a commercial videoconferencing system from a US provider. The IMT has procured some licenses via Telekom.
DFN video and web conferences[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- DFN-Verein is the nationwide provider of video and web conferences for universities. DFNconf only offers conferences with the software Pexip with a maximum of 23 persons, who can also connect via telepfone call. See Use of DFN web conference services.
Audio conferences (no picture, but more reliable voice transmission)[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
- Mumble is a voice conferencing software that can be used over the web. The computer science department has released your system for use by the University of Paderborn. If you want to set up your own "channels" for courses, you have to install a special client.
- DFN telephone conferences work very stable and can be used with all telephones via a dial-in number (https://www.conf.dfn.de/anleitungen-und-dokumentation/adobe-connect/telefonkonferenzen).
Tool comparison at a glance[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
|Big Blue Button (BBB)||DFNconf||Zoom with E2E-Encryption||Zoom without E2E-Encryption||WebEx|
|Group size/stability||< 30 with video, up to about 60 without||< 23||< 300||< 300||< 200|
|Confidentiality||confidentiality guaranteed||no confidential or sensitive personal data allowed|
|Hosting||Hosted on servers at the University of Paderborn||Hosted by DFN-Verein||
Copyright notice[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
Avoid - even if it is technically easy - recording video conferences. All participants have a "right to their own image" as well as to their own linguistic expressions. Recordings may only be made if you as a lecturer only record yourself, i.e. all cameras and microphones of the participants are switched off, or if all participants have explicitly agreed to the recording and the purpose of the recording.
Privacy[Bearbeiten | Quelltext bearbeiten]
In terms of data protection, the system BigBlueButton operated at the University of Paderborn or DFNconf of the DFN-Verein are to be preferred.
If it is necessary to use external systems due to the number of participants, the instances Zoom (C4V) and Webex (Telekom), for which the University has concluded contracts for commissioned data processing, should be used. Nevertheless, no confidential or sensitive personal data should be transmitted via Zoom and Webex. For all systems (BigBlueButton, Zoom and Webex) please refer to the respective data protection declarations.
If you want to work with other commercial solutions, please be sure to read the Privacy Notices for Cloud Services of American Providers.