Exchange of large files
E-mails are only partially suitable for exchanging large files. Very few e-mail providers allow attachments larger than 25 MB. Even if sending is theoretically possible, large file attachments often lead to overcrowded e-mail inboxes and cause unnecessary data traffic.
There are good alternatives for sending large files. In this article, we present some options that guarantee confidentiality and are recommended under data protection law.
Sciebo is a non-commercial cloud storage service for research, study and teaching. In terms of function, it is comparable to commercial providers such as Dropbox or Onedrive. However, the data is stored exclusively on computers in universities within NRW.
- You need a Sciebo account
- As a user you have 30 GB of storage space
- For working groups there is the additional possibility to apply for project boxes
- You can access your data via a wide variety of devices - There are separate apps for PC, Mac, smartphones and tablets
- You can share data and folders with one or more people - they do not necessarily need a Sciebo account
For more information, see the Sciebo section.
With the GigaMove service, RWTH Aachen University offers an uncomplicated way to send large files via a link. The files are uploaded to the GigaMove service via a homepage. Afterwards you get a link to your file and can send it for example by e-mail.
GigaMove also offers you the possibility to create a link where other people can upload data for you.
- You must activate your Uni-AccountDer nach der erfolgreichen Immatrikulation (Studierende) oder Anstellung (Angestellte) beim IMT erstellte Zugang. for the use of GigaMove
- As a user you have 10 GB of storage space
- Files at GigaMove are automatically deleted after 14 days at the latest
- Just share a link - the other person does not need an account
Further information can be found in the GigaMove article.
The IMT operates a network storage on which files can be stored and managed centrally. The service is available for all users and groups of the university.
- You need a Uni-AccountDer nach der erfolgreichen Immatrikulation (Studierende) oder Anstellung (Angestellte) beim IMT erstellte Zugang. and connection to the University Network
- You must therefore be on campus or have a VPNVirtuelle privates Netzwerk; über eine bestehende Internetverbindung wird der Rechner virtuell an einen anderen Ort gesetzt und bekommt alle Zugriffsmöglichkeiten, als ob er vor Ort wäre. Nifty! connection to the university network
- The same conditions apply to the persons with whom you wish to share data.
- As a user you have 5 GB of storage space
- In the public directory you can store data, which are then accessible to all persons with Uni-AccountDer nach der erfolgreichen Immatrikulation (Studierende) oder Anstellung (Angestellte) beim IMT erstellte Zugang.
- For workgroups, group storage with more storage space can be requested from IMT
- Via a backup function older or already deleted data can be restored
For more information, see the network storage section.
The University of Paderborn has its own service for the provision of videos. In the VideoportalInternetportal (oder Interneseite), welches Videos zum Ansehen oder Herunterladen anbietet. you can upload videos and decide who should have access to them.
- Easy video deployment
- Extensive options for chapters, subtitles and meta data
- Access authorizations possible - If desired, you can also use existing LDAP groups
- PANDA Interface - Make videos available in your PANDA course
You can find further information in the video portal section.